Friday, June 7, 2013

Day 38 : Is that too much to ask?

So tonight I went to the open mic at the Unurban Cafe in Santa Monica. Earlier in the day there had been a mass shooting within a mile of the cafe. I performed quite well and got some nice compliments. That is always nice. At around 10:00 I decided to take off for the night. I was walking to my car and I woman stopped me and starting talking to me about the shooting that had happened today.  Perhaps it was because I was wearing a New York Yankees hat. She was a New Yorker or perhaps it was for some other reason.  Anyways I could see that the days events had really scared her. I guess since I don't live over there I wasn't as freaked out or maybe it's that I am so desensitized to violence having lived in LA for awhile. We talked about all different kinds of things. I think she was just looking for somebody to connect with. What's funny is that right before I left the open mic I was feeling really lonely. I even texted that to a friend of mine who also happens to live in Long Island.  Perhaps the universe knew that we both needed somebody to talk to. It is far too uncommon in LA to talk to strangers. She commented on how almost all her  relationships have become transactional. Los Angeles is a spread out town. Everybody is doing there own thing. It can be a lonely place. I'm not saying the movie Crash is a perfect depiction of LA but I think there is some truth in it. Wouldn't be nice if you knew your neighbors. I honestly don't know anybody in my neighborhood other then the guys who live upstairs. I once said hi to my next door neighbor and the woman looked at me like I was from Mars. While Mars is nice and all. There is no breathable air. I prefer Earth and I also like to live in a place where I knew my neighbor and perhaps at the very least I could at least say hi. Here is my request. Be nice. Be honest. Is that too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment