Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Lessons Along the Way.

I have learned some valuable things on my 90 day journey. One of the greatest things I've learned is to not make assumptions. I'll give you an example.  I was at an open mic at a  coffee house that has open mics every night of the week. There are alot of comedians who go there. During my performance there was a women sitting in the front with her arms crossed wearing a nasty scowl on her face. During my second song it kind of threw me. I was in my head and not present. Anyhow I finished and watched the rest of the performers including Miss Frowny face. When it was her turn she explained that it was her first time doing open mic and that she was nervous. She did pretty well considering it was her first time. After everybody was finished the performers we chatting. As I was walkimg by Miss Frowny Face she said to me, "nice job". My inner dialogue was like, " What, is that the same women? I'm confused, but ok". In hindsight I believe she was nervous and probably in her own head. That scowl probably had nothing to do with me. Another lesson i've learned is to not judge what I think a situation means, good or bad. Perhaps if just is. I'll explain. There are some days where I'll make $40 in the Santa Monica Promenade and other days I'll make $2. In my mind I like to judge my performances there by how much money I made but this doesn't tell the whole story. For instance last night I played in the Promenade and I would say I did all but one song well. I made $5 and a homeless man actually gave me a dollar. That felt like a $100. I have made more money on other days. Was I ten times better? No.  The right people just happened to walk by on those days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment