Thursday, May 2, 2013

Day 2.

I didn't sleep much last night. Yesterday was a tough day. I  was testing my equipment for when I perform at the Santa Monica Promenade when I discovered a problem. No sound. Aaaahhhhhh! Yes that is how I felt. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I don't know much about Car Batteries and inverters. Since there is no power you have to bring your own hence the car battery and inverter.  So I went out to buy an inverter. I showed my current one to the salesman and he said that my thingamabobber was needing replaceing. Well not exactly that terminology but that's what it sounded like to me. On the way home I convinced myself to buy another inverter as mine was looking pretty ragged. I should have probably prefaced this by saying I used to play in Santa Monica years ago but I haven't done in years so that's why I had the right equipment. Who has a spare car battery and power inverter hanging around? Well I do. So went to Kmart and bought one. I came home thinking finally it's going to work. I plugged it in and nothing. All I heard was a nasty hum. So at this point I quickly ate a sandwich, took a shower and got ready for my open mic. On my way to the open mic I went bought to the Autozone and had them test my battery. Some relief. Finally. When I got to the open mic I was tired and very pissed off. Needless to say I was not myself and did not perform up to my standards. I usually stay to watch everybody but I was just done. Do you think I'm crazy yet. It's ok if you do. I felt crazy. I think it's those demons coming out. So I left. When I got home I tested out my new battery. I was excited. Thinking this is it, it's finally going to work! So I hooked it up and poof.  Nothing.  All I heard was that same nasty hum that I heard before. I'm not sure what the lesson is today. Some days things just don't work. Luckily there is always tommorow and that's what keeps us going. At least it does for me. After speaking with a good friend of mine I have decided to still go down to Santa Monica and perform with no amplification. At first I thought he was crazy but it's about the commitment no matter what. Speaking of commitment before bed last night I watched the ESPN 30 for 30 doc on Terry Fox. In the 80's he ran all across Canada on one leg. Now that is hard. He had roll with the punches on a daily basis. Facing different obstacles at every turn. I must do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment